Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Dirk Muench

“I never liked running. It all started with a bet. I said I would run my first marathon in under 3 hours. My colleagues at the time – Wall Street traders, proven to make the wrong call – put more than 6,000 USD on the table. The catch was if I were to run slower than 3 hours or drop out, I would have to match their pledge to charity. I was on the hook for a lot of money – and of course my pride. Three months to go, about 10kg too heavy for a sub 3hrs marathon I started to train. …I think the feeling of honest achievement I had when I finished the NYC Marathon 2008 in 2:43:07 cannot be topped. Yet, I guess I will run for the rest of my life trying to have it again.

I came across CAMFED in 2005 when starting to train for a Mountain bike race in the Swiss Alps. I chose CAMFED mainly because I felt edcation is the best, most efficient way to provide support and promote sustainable development in Africa. About CAMFED I particularly liked their entrepreneurial, learning approach. The reviews and the results of studies done on their work convinced me that I am supporting the right people and every dollar raised will be put to effective use.

My goal this year is to find 25 runners for the team, help them fundraise and exceed their personal marathon ambitions. I myself hope to raise 5000 USD and would like to finish the 26.2 miles in less than 150 minutes… (I know the odds to achieve this goal are close to 0, but even Wall-Streeters are more careful with bets these days)”

No comments:

Post a Comment